We’re all about living ‘Life in Colour’ here at Borough Care. To achieve that, healthy eating and physical exercise is very much part of our residents’ lifestyle.
So, to support the British Nutrition Foundation’s Healthy Eating Week, and as part of our ongoing mission to educate and provide our residents with the healthiest meals possible, we’ve come up with a packed week of activities that each of our homes will be participating in.
- Monday 10th June – we’re kicking off National Healthy Eating Week with a selection of fruit-based Mocktails at our regular tea-dance in Offerton. A great way to get one of your five-a-day and some all-important physical exercise.
- Tuesday 11th June – our homes will be offering a crudités and smoothie afternoon, with selections hand-picked by our nutritionally trained catering team.
- Wednesday 12th June – each of our homes will be hosting a vegetarian buffet and family and loved ones are welcome too!
- Thursday 13th June – we’re focusing on the importance of hydration by introducing new iced-teas and fruit juices to our hydration stations
- Friday 14th June – we’re swapping our classic afternoon tea for afternoon fruit; in place of cakes we’ll be serving platters of exotic and vitamin-packed fruit.
We know how important good nutrition is. Older people have specific nutrition requirements such as a higher recommended intake of Vitamin D, through supplements and food, and the need to eat regular amounts of fatty acid found in oily fish preserve eye healthy and help the immune system.
All this was considered as we designed our brand-new home menus. These menus have been created with the help of residents, family members and staff who have had regular tasting sessions and fed back to us on the food we currently serve.
Overwhelmingly, each home preferred softer food choices and a vegetarian based diet. We then worked with our catering partner, Apetito, to come up a set of nutritious, balanced menus that tick the tasty box.
Mark Dale, Catering Manager, said; “We are so excited about the new menus we have rolled out across our homes. Our Catering staff have worked hard to create delicious, nutritious choices based on feedback from our residents and staff. From classics such as Cottage Pie and Beef Stew with Dumplings to more international fare including Salmon Provencal and Channa Masala, our varied and balanced meals will keep our residents happy and healthy.”